Why Pack Light?
It’s not just backpackers that have to worry about packing light. These days we could all do more to lighten our load. It just makes traveling easier. You’ll know a seasoned traveler when you spot them effortlessly managing their one carry-on bag onto a plane, ferry, taxi, or tuk-tuk. If the idea of easier travels doesn’t persuade you, here’s a few more reasons to pack light:
1. It will cost you money to overpack. All airlines now charge excess baggage fees and unless youâ€™re prepared to pay the fees itâ€™s better to pack smarter and pack less. Always check with your airline for specific policies, you don’t want to be surprised by a fee at the ticket counter.
2. Light packers can pack everything in a carry-on which means no waiting at the luggage carousel and no anxiety about lost luggage.
3. Worldwide budget travel means you will be using many forms of transportation when you arrive and depart a city. Whether you use a train, taxi, or tuk tuk to get around it’s much easier when you aren’t drowning in luggage.
4. Packing light means you will not be horrified when you realize that the cute little pensione youâ€™ve booked in Florence is on the 5th floor of a building with no elevator.
5. If you’re doing worldwide budget travel youâ€™ll find that hotel and hostel rooms are small, you donâ€™t want excess luggage crowding you.
6. Packing light takes organization and planning but youâ€™ll be much happier during your trip. Every time I overpack I dread repacking my bag.
7. Packing light means you have a little extra room to bring souvenirs home.
8. When traveling with young children, it’s easier to keep track of them if you’re not trying to manage loads of luggage.
So let’s all lighten our loads and have happier travels!